Friday, October 06, 2006

David the Conference Junkie vs. Onslaught of Goliath Vendors

First, I'm in Atlanta at a Church leadership conference for young adults (http://www.catalystconference.com/) and I'm illegally passing out the paperback annoucement for Between Two Worlds (http://betweentwoworlds.org/). Can I go to jail for that? Maybe the worst that can happen is a littering ticket. Anyway, they have a ton of vendors here (the Christian term is "exhibitors"), and so it's like being at a shopping mall where you get the constant, "Sir, what wireless service do you have?" from the booths in the middle of the hallway. Except here, I'm getting nailed by the promotional, foam footballs from the next, great, youth, 'sports ministry' trying to get me to sign-up. (I would register, but I can't remember my name due to the head trauma I received from the aforementioned $.05 ball that impacted my skull) I've already inquired as to how I can get a booth at next year's conference (the audience is expected to be about 10,000!) promoting BTW and Oasis.
Secondly, we are now giving BTW to the parent(s) of the children of divorce in our program. Duh! This should have been the FIRST population of people that I thought of when asking, "Who HAS to read this?"
Third, I've also been pimping our bookstore folks pretty hard to better display the BTW workshop CDs, see: http://willowcreek.org/seeds.asp and the book version (when they come in--even though I am able to get them in two days or less from booksamillion. Go figure!). So, now the CDs are next to the registers, WAL-MART style. Hopefully that will produce some impulse buying: just like the lip balm and M&M's with which I almost walk out of the store if it weren't for those life-saving displays in the check-out aisle.
I don't know whether or not we can set up a booth next year at this conference. However, I love the idea that we could set something with the sole purpose of helping Churches help hurting kids---at no charge!
Lastly, imagine that: someone eating the cost of ministry so that more can be done in the name of Jesus. Wow. What a novel idea. Free love.
If I do make it back there as a vendor--oops, I mean 'exhibitor'--I think I'll leave my bullhorn and footballs at home.
Ben Wilcox

No comments: