Sunday, October 15, 2006

Loving LORD,

I considered a sunset today. You came up with that idea, right? What an amazing expression of beauty and breath-taking promise of hope. You: the designer of the sun. You: the maker of heaven and earth. You: able to care for one and all. You: who left heaven once for everyone. You: who designed---me? I don't get it. Why should I even be mentioned at all in relation with the majesty and wonder of your ingenious power? Yet, I guess to dismiss myself (given that you are my Creator God), would be in some way dismissing You. I can't do that, Father. How can I criticize your work? Who am I? Will you help me once again? Will you assist my understanding of how you could put on a nightly performance of awe-inspiring hues and lights and yet make yourself available to pitiful me? Can the Father of all light really be my dad?
You, God, your love is awe-inspiring to me. As I so readily enjoy and receive the nightly sunset showing and exuberantly praise its maker and producer, will you help me to relax in the enjoyment and wonder of your love to me? I praise my maker. I honor my Father. May your love set on me: every day and every night.

"The extravagantly orchestrated skies . . . are not background to provide a little beauty on the periphery of the god-like ego; they are the large beauty in which we find our true home, room in which to live . . . Christ expansively, openhearted in praise."
Eugene Peterson

No comments: