Monday, October 09, 2006

Dear God,

I know you are there. Though sometimes I wonder, are you here, Jesus? How can you be? How could you possibly attend to all the real important stuff going on in the world and still have time for me?

I'm not sure what to say a lot of the time. It's like calling a psychic, shouldn't you already KNOW what I will say anyway?!?
I forget you are there, too. I am sorry for neglecting you. I am so sorry for so much: things I've done, things I've said, and for the people I have hurt. How can I become like you?
I can't believe that you want me to call you, "Daddy." Isn't that not-reverent-enough? How about, "LORD Dad?" "King Pop?" "Almighty Father." When is one appropriate and the other not? If I don't know how to address you, it's going to be hard to get to know each other.
I want to know you, but why in the world would you want to know me? I'm sort of a dork most of the time. I do so very few things well. A lot of the time, I think I'm nuts; if you really do desire to have an intimate relationship with me, watch out!
I have a hard time asking for help, too. Could you help me with that?
Do you really want to give me good gifts? Things that are good for me? I generally suck at determining what's good for me and what isn't. I've hurt myself quite a few times, and, more than once, blamed it on you. Will you forgive me for that as well?

This whole "Dad" thing is sometimes hard for me to grasp. You know my issues with that, right? So, this may take awhile to get used to, O.K.? Could you be patient with me, please?
More than anything, I want you to know that I'm willing. I'm thankful that you are willing, too. Thank you for not forcing anything. I know it's taken me awhile to come around again. I know we can't make up for lost time, but you redeem stuff, right? Could you redeem my pain? I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired. I deserve it, but I hurt.
I would have liked to have hung out with David. Could you teach me like you did him? My heart's in need of a good teacher. He was a writer, too.
This honesty stuff is wearing me out, and I've noticed my keyboard is wet. Can I talk to you later? I love you. I love you, Father. I love you, Daddy. Man, that felt good.
Thanks,
Benny

Ben Wilcox

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can tell you love God. I learned a long time ago that when we pray our spirit is far more important than getting the words just right. As far as what to call Him, I think of the Hebrew scribes, and when they copied the scripture of the Old Testament. The way they wrote God's name was JHVH. No vowels, and they used a new "pen" for each letter. More than anything else, they viewed God as holy. Please study that word-holy-it will change your whole perspective.