Monday, January 09, 2006

Happy New Year

My friend asked me to update this blog with something more positive. I have no New Year's resolutions. (There I go using the word "no" right away; it's not looking good for Team Positive.) I have only one major resolution: ask me in person, and I'll be glad to tell you about it. My personal goals are my personal goals regardless of the calendar. I don't change them or create new ones based on the month. I'd like to think I've grown and matured since last January. So much has happened to me since then.
This year might be pretty interesting. I think by next January I'll have completed at least 20 hours of college course work and transitioned out of my current job. I don't know what else might pop up, though. Lisa is no longer an air traffic controller. That's a big change for her having done that for 16 years. Additionally, new opportunities for us to get involved in non-profit work (which is what we really want to be doing) appear certain. So, I feel I do have a fairly positive outlook for this year. Do I want to be thinner, drive the speed limit, eat better, and exercise more? Sure I do, but I don't want to set a bunch of lofty goals now only to fail later. I think the best change happens slowly--sometimes without our being aware of its taking place.
January 2007? It seems like a long way off now. I know that on January 1, 2007, I'll be amazed at how quickly time passed. I don't want to miss a thing between now and then. Maybe on 1/1/07 I'll notice my stomach is smaller, my hair is thinner, I don't eat pizza nearly as much, the Wolverines are going to the BCS Championship Game, my car is still running, and I haven't flunked out of school. Maybe I'll realize I'm nicer, don't swear as often, treat dogs better, babysit more, and drink less soda. These, and other extremely important changes, may happen slowly over the course of this year.
The point is I'm in such a hurry most of the time that I probably wouldn't notice these modifications ocurring even if they were. We are all in a giant hurry. (Been on I-88 lately? Even in a construction zone?) For what? To reach next January? To start the "well, I didn't stick with any of my resolutions, again, so why don't I try to come up with some new ones, or the same ones, but this time I'll try really hard not to forget about them two weeks after I resolve to completely change my life in one year or less" process all over? Okay, I lied. I'll pick one, in addition to the one aforementioned, standing resolution, resolution this year: to slow down. To slow down and notice the things in life that matter. To start to move over and do 55mph, or less. To notice my wife and friends and the changes in their lives that matter. To stop caring how close I was to making that red light. To go an entire football season and not just don't blame, but don't even mention, the ref's. See, this resolution would probably take care of all the others previously mentioned: 'be nicer, not swearing, babysitting more, etc. However, I may never like dogs. In fact, resolving to really slow down may even help my Resolution #1 (aka The Main Thing). Ask me some time; I'd love to tell you what it is.
Have a happy New Year. Did you notice how positive I just was? See? I'm changing already . . .

1 comment:

kalbzayn said...

If you are ever looking to log some babysitting hours, just let me know. You know I'd do anything to help you out.

Good to hear from you again. Good luck with your big goal. If you need someone to talk to about it, I'll send Amelia over. No wait, she's better at talking than listening.

Unrelated side note, you should set this up to allow anonymous comments so that people don't need to have a blogger account to reply.

Talk to you later, you dog odor, you.