Saturday, January 28, 2006

Shhhhhh . . .

The People Whisperer
Recently a movie was released starring Robert Redford whose character had an uncanny ability to communicate with troubled horses. The title of the movie, and the description of Redford’s character, is The Horse Whisperer. By carefully drawing near to the troubled animal and softly speaking into its ear, Redford’s character was able to break through whatever resistance the horse had previously exhibited to other trainers. With gentle persuasion and by speaking its ‘language,’ previously troublesome animals were brought back to service.
I am not a horse expert by any measure. Anyone who knows me is aware of my general indifference, to put it nicely, to animals of all types. However, I’ve seen enough of the Discovery Channel and other educational programming on cable TV to ascertain that without "breaking" a horse’s spirit, it is a fairly useless animal. Without the learned ability to yield to its master’s commands, no horse can really serve a practical use on a farm or in some other business. Its wildness prevents harnessing, and without harnessing, no duty can be attached to these enormously strong animals.
Billy Graham, arguably the world’s greatest evangelist, is remarkable for his singular focus and longevity in his chosen vocation. For decades Billy has only ever done one thing: preach. Unwilling to branch off and diversify his efforts into a myriad of other endeavors, with very little exception, Billy Graham has steadily pursued one goal: to reach people with the Gospel of Christ. Curious to note that what led Billy his work was not some surrealistic religious experience or a sign seen in a dream. Billy simply allowed his will to be yielded in faith to someone else’s. When asked for the defining moment in his choice to pursue evangelism, Billy stated, "Most of us don’t get epiphanies. We just get whispers." (Emphasis mine) Someone had persuaded Billy Graham, by speaking softly into his ear, to allow his spirit to be broken: for a greater cause and in service to his Master.
I know that the times in my life when all seemed terribly wrong and nothing I did seem to work were the times when I listened to no one except myself. I wasn’t willing to stop and ask for help. I was unabatedly acting and unyieldingly proceeding through my life without caution or counsel. I was moving too fast to notice whether anyone had come along side me and too noisily to be able to discern what someone may have tried to tell me. Lately, any success I’ve experienced is attributed to my willingness to slow down, to listen, and to hear as well. When I can somehow yield to the prevailing wisdom and advice of the still, small voice, wait until I feel the gentle hand on my shoulder nudging me forward, and assume my humble place of brokenness: great things happen. I realize that my chances of winning are dependent upon my ability to lose—lose the struggle for independence, lose the battle of wills, and most importantly, lose the earplugs.

No comments: