Saturday, January 28, 2006

My "Million Little Pieces"

God made my life complete when I placed all the pieces before him.
When I got my act together, he gave me a fresh start.
Now I'm alert to his ways; I don't take God for granted.
Everyday I review the ways he works; I try not to miss a trick.
I feel put back together, and I now I'm watching my step.
God rewrote the text of my life when I opened the book of my heart
to his eyes.
Psalm 18:20-24

Those are the facts of my life--not 'inspired by' or 'based on.' The recent news is flooded with the controversy swirling around Frey's book and whether it's "all true" or just "mostly true." There are several positions to take on the issue. I think a lot of it is merely semantical. Whether his book was intended for the entertainment or inspritation of its reader, or whether his work looses quality and credibility because of the supposed misleading notion of fact are philosophical arguments to me. (Might some of our accepted works of history from which we educate really belong on the "fiction" shelf?)
Regardless of any or all of these valid questions, a person's life story really isn't autobiographical anyway. Mine certainly isn't. There is a required boldness, sometimes desperate, in allowing one's life to 'be read.' Who can read you like a book? Has anyone? When examining the pages of your life, would the reader be inspired or entertained, motivated or depressed, left wondering or wanting more?

No comments: