Wednesday, December 27, 2006


No longer wanting to play 'pretend I'm fine' anymore about my mental health, I came clean to most of my immediate family on Christmas Eve. That was probably not a great timing move on my part, but I knew that if I didn't do it then, I would be ruining any chance of enjoying Christmas Day. I feel somewhat relieved that they understand a little bit better now that I'm not just 'weird' or 'moody.' (Although, I think sometimes I really am just weird/moody.)
Some days are good; others are not so good. I've learned a lot, though, through all of this mess. I like the following quotation: I think it sums up the positive side of my faulty wiring---


"A sacred illness is one that educates us and alters us from the inside out, provides experiences and therefore knowledge that we could not possibly achieve in any other way." by Deena Metzger

I guess I'm grateful in the sense that, without this very humbling experience, I might be an even bigger a*#hole!!!

Benny

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ben,
Although we don't talk often, when we do, as we have said before, it is like we have never left off. I don't remember having one huge conversation regarding my mental health, but I am sure most of my immediate family have heard it from me at some time or other (and probably knew way before I figured it out). If you ever need or want to talk, please call. My heart and home are open any time. I love you and will feed you pizza. Aunt Molly