Sunday, December 31, 2006

Peter Drucker - "The only thing we know about the future is that it will be different."

I heard I pretty good talk today about the upcoming new year. Apart from the usual babble about resolutions (or, "goals" for you p.c. types), I thought the speaker did a great job of re-emphasizing the importance of paying attention during our waking hours and not giving in to the overwhelming influence of popular culture: to numb ourselves with entertainment and distraction.
I don't want to set a bunch of silly benchmarks for myself; I want to simply keep growing and learning. Stagnation is my worst fear. It usually leads to depression and/or angst. I don't know what my future holds. I have a pretty strong intuition that it will different, and I like surprises . . .

C.S. Lewis - Mere change is not growth. Growth is the synthesis of change and continuity, and where there is no continuity there is no growth.

P.S. Process, process, process, Ben. Patience!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the biggest flaw with the New Year's goals is that they normally don't come anywhere near reflecting where we actually want to be at the end of the year. I change my mind every few days on a lot of things. I'm working on a few monthly goals. I figure that will give me a big enough time window to show some sort of commitment (a problem I sometimes have) but short enough to let me pick up new interests and prioritize them frequently.

Ben Wilcox said...

Well said, Mike!

Ben