Friday, April 14, 2006

In dire need

"an·a·bi·o·sis ( P ) Pronunciation Key (n-b-ss)n.
A restoring to life from a deathlike condition; resuscitation.
A state of suspended animation, especially one in which certain aquatic invertebrates are able to survive long periods of drought.
[Greek anabisis, from anabioun, to return to life : ana-, ana- + bioun, to live (from bios, life).]"


Every year, without fail, Easter rolls around. Somehow, although I consider myself a long-time Christian, I forget about the importance of Easter. I usually place more emphatic expectation on the Christmas celebration. Why? Is it because of the gifts I will recieve? Or, is it because of the commercial & retail sales boon and all its entrapments? Whatever the case, somehow Easter gets relegated to second place behind Christmas--at least for me.
This year I got to have some input into my church's Easter service. After seeing a little of the rehearsal and hearing some of the songs that will be sung, it struck me that the greatest gift I've ever received doesn't come to me in December. It doesn't sit wrapped under a tree, teasing me for weeks on end. You can't buy it or take it back---even if there were a receipt involved. It's the gift of a redeemed life. In the redemption process, something that has ceased being useful is rendered productive and lively again. If you knew any of the horrible decisions I've made, you would recognize that I am a walking miracle. Because of the countless times I chose to drink and drive, I should be a dead man. If you had seen what had gone on behind my closed door, maybe these words would have come to your mind: "Dead Man Walking." Back before my life was redeemed: before I found restoration. Before, I had rendered myself useless. I was in need of resurrection. Someone brought me back from my "state of suspended animation."
I sincerely hope that you take the time to celebrate Easter this weekend. You may just receive the greatest gift you'll ever get. . . a word you may have never heard . . . a word you, like me, may not be sure how to pronounce: anabiosis.
Every year I need the reminder---of just how alive I am.




Ben Wilcox

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful...I'm glad you chose THAT word (an·a·bi·o·sis)...You are one of God's miracles and I am so thankful that you are using your life to help others!
GLYASDI