Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Finishing Well

I've recently been contemplating a paradigm shift regarding a popular life metaphor: "life is a marathon." According to one well-respected physiologist, who works with pro athletes and FBI agents on a regular basis, life actually resembles a series of sprints.
In context then, I feel like I just finished one sprint and am in need of replenishment because I can see the starting line for my next dash. I am having to learn to breathe differently and fuel myself more efficiently because of my altered view on what it takes to finish well. Currently, I am marking time at my job. That's about it. The good news: the end is in sight. It's both scary and exciting to realize that this portion of my race is almost over. This past year has been so much more than just work woes, however. It's been a bunch of hurdles which I can retrospectively recognize as developmental challenges in character, patience, and humility. (I have the 'skinned knees' to prove it!)
As previously stated, my next taking-off point is almost visible, but I have no map of the course. All I can do is respond to the starter's gun and try not to stumble out of the gate.
I'm about to set off with a slightly different identity and purpose. I hope that I pace myself well enough to reach the end of the next leg of my journey successfully. What does that success look like? I'm not sure, but I think it has a lot to do with navigating whatever lies ahead with integrity and the right perspective: that my life will resemble a dynamic, challenging series of sprints in which I'm tested constantly. I want to finish well. I want to do well enough to hear applause streaming from the bleachers. Fortunately, my audience is only one.


Ben Wilcox

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're going to be fine.

I know how uncomfortable change can be from when I got layed off a couple years ago. I was in total panic mode, a very helpless feeling. If not for some odd hiring practices, I might be working where you are leaving.

Just remember a job pays the bills it doesn't make you a better or worse person. The next one might not do as good of a job as your current one at paying the bills, but it will probably make your off hours more enjoyable.