Friday, March 31, 2006

What would Jesus do if he weren't Jesus?

There are a lot of nice people who aren't Chrisitians. They may even be considered "good." There are a lot of so-called Christians who aren't very nice. So, what's the difference? Sometimes I believe that there really aren't that many. An awareness of God? Maybe, maybe not. Many people may believe in God, but don't claim to be religious (a term I loathe but is recognizable to many) at all. A belief that Jesus was a great man? Possibly. Historical-types may believe that Jesus lived once and would even go so far as to say he was a great teacher of a lot of great truths concerning how to treat others. I think one difference is the belief that Jesus still exists and is know-able. Yet, it's sad that people (myself included) who claim to know him often misrepresent him so often. Probably because many church people like to "spread the gospel" more than they, or recognize the need to, merely humbly offer to introduce someone to a great friend of theirs. If we really appreciate what God has done in our lives, as authentic Christians, won't it come through more effectively in our life than through a bullhorn? It's like we are trying to reruit people to "our side." Jesus didn't do that. He loved people. Everybody, equally. That's the difference. That's what I need to do. Jesus was and is God. If God is love, and I claim to know him, why do I suck at loving others? Maybe I'd be better off as one of those people who seem to be naturally nice. I wonder if everybody thought Jesus was "nice" all the time? Probably not. We normally don't torture and kill "nice" people.

Look at:
http://www.donaldmillerwords.com/pdf/thirteenparadigmshifts.pdf



Ben Wilcox

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice. It's very tough accept people for who they are when they don't believe what we believe. We always feel we need to teach them something when what we should really do is just hang out and get to know them. I think it's more of a challenge to our beliefs when we start to understand why others have different beliefs than ours and have to find a way to accept it.

Also, I almost had a heart attack thinking my dad had a website, complete with PDFs. Don't do things like that to me.

Anonymous said...

Ben,
I've been reading ( and reading ; )
your blog. Your an incrediable writer, not that I am surprised...You bring up many valid and interesting points. "sucking" at loving others...which I don't agree you do, I beleive is in the dna of all wilcox inflicted people....but we are working it out...
you are an awesome person and you have a personality that naturally attracts others, your wit and intelligence is quite contagious...if stand up comedian is out as a career choice may I suggest columnist....ask Mitch , it's not a bad gig.
Love ya
Your favorite Aunt lol

Anonymous said...

Hey I am also a christian and i really liked all that you had to say except the part at the end about Jesus being nice and people not killing nice people. My thought is this, they did not nail jesus to the cross or torture him because he wasnt being nice they crucified him because of what he believed in and what he stood for and the things he was telling people about. Things about God and a personal relationship with him and how we as "christians" need to live a life of love and how we a DO need to witness and share our beliefs with others and LOVE, as you said, just love people the way Jesus did it oh so perfectly. I believe Jesus was nice all the time, do you believe that jesus didnt sin? well if so then he had to be nice all the time because he did not sin. being not nice, to me, is a sin. we need to try extra hard to be nice to all of the people around us. it does suck that we do have to constantly remind ourselves to do this or do that. We as Christians have the greatest gift of all and that is our personal relationship with jesus. how lucky we are and how blessed and if we truly grasp the greatness of Gods grace and mercy and love then we will not be able to not share it with the people around us by using our words or by our actions. just some thoughts. thanks nice blog

Ben Wilcox said...

I absolutely agree with almost everything you wrote. My point wasn't that they killed Christ because he wasn't be nice, yet I agree with you that the main reason the people wanted him dead was for what he was standing for. My point is that if you consistently stand for what you believe in, then there ARE going to be times when "taking a stand" and "being nice" will be mutually exclusive.
Thanks for your good feedback, and I'm sorry if my thoughts weren't all that clear . . . Ben