Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Much will be required . . .

I've been reminded lately to "honor" my parents. What does honor mean to you? Here are some useful articles:

http://www.actsweb.org/articles/article.php?i=971&d=2&c=11
(Here's a great excerpt:"I agree in that one of the best ways we can honor even bad parents is by being grateful for whatever good we received from them (the gift of life for example), by not allowing our past and what they did or failed to do to or for us to control our future, and by living such a life that it will both honor them and God. With God's help this we can do this."
Suggested prayer: 'Dear God, I thank you for the gift of life that came through my parents and for all the good qualities I inherited from them. Help me to see all these qualities, resolve all past hurts caused by them, and forgive them as you have forgiven me for my sins and failures. And help me to so live that my life will honor both them and you. Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully in Jesus' name, amen.'"
It's tough to let go of the past hurts inflicted by parents. I think living a God-honoring life should automatically honor any caring parent. I do not think honoring your parent(s) means allowing them to intentionally hurt you repeatedly.

http://www.ssnet.org/qrtrly/eng/04c/less02.html
Excerpt: "The obedience the Bible demands is not blind obedience, and respect for parental wishes cannot simply be enforced but must, to a significant degree, be earned. Parents may make demands, but these must be reasonable, consistent, and always with the best interest of the child and, most important, not contrary to other biblical principles." (notice: 'the best interest of the child')

http://www.gotquestions.org/honor-abusive-parent.html
Excerpt: The best yet---"God requires that we go to Him for help to forgive so that (a) these parents will be released from our judgment and He is then free to go to work on them as well as us, and (b) so that our own souls and spirits will not become gradually poisoned and twisted by the root of bitterness that unforgiveness produces, which will sink itself deeper and deeper into our hearts and minds as time goes on.

I have often heard quite incredible testimonies from those who suffered unbelievable cruelty and lack of love at their parents' hands, and yet having learned to depend utterly on the mercy and strength of Almighty God, they have gradually found healing for their hearts and spirits and forgiveness and a loving attitude towards their parents. In releasing their parents to God in this way these parents also began to change and the glorious ending to the story was a loving family happily united together under God. If you have ever suffered in this way as a child, then I pray that this may also be the ending to your story. Ephesians 6:2-3 tells us, "Honor your father and mother" - which is the first commandment with a promise - "that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth."

Lastly, RESPECT: "Respect is the objective, unbiased consideration and regard for the rights, values, beliefs and property of all people. Kant's categorical imperative as well as what is commonly understood of being a gentleman incorporate the concept of respect." en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Respect

Here's praying and hoping I can let go and release what I've been carrying for 14 years. Please help me God my Father. I need help. I'm tired of the hurt. I can't change anyone else, but you can. This is one thing I can't fix. Help me unclench my fist. Teach me to forgive.
Have your way with me. Amen . . .

No comments: