Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Peace at any cost is not peace at all . . .

"Yes...

I can’t believe the news today
Oh, I can’t close my eyes and make it go away
How long...
How long must we sing this song?
How long? how long..."

U2 lyrics: Sunday Bloody Sunday


I'm not sure what has cracked in me or in my heart recently, but at a recent church service, I saw an elderly couple give an interview in which they recounted how they had knit a remembrance shawl for a neighbor lady who was recently widowed by the "war" (conflict, police action, whatever) in Iraq. I watched, listened, and bawled. How may more must die? What is our plan for withdrawal? I realize the irresponsibility in total troop removal, but does the administration have any concept of what it will take to start relieving the burden on this country's families? If you can't give us "when," Mr. President, give us the benchmarks to reach that will signal force reduction and deliver some reassurance that our presence in Iraq really isn't interminable.
I'm sick of the body count. We've overstayed our welcome at a party to which we weren't invited. Some have talked about sending even more troops? Iraq's Deputy Prime Minister responds to this idea of an increased troop presence, "I think more troops in Iraq would make more casuaties. . . I think the way to go forward is to arm the Iraqi army in a way that it can deal with the insurgency and the violence." No! Let Iraq 's army fight its own battles? Let the U.S. take a step back and let countries have some autonomy? Now, why would we ever do that?

No comments: